As a kid the classic Rice Krispie Treat always made an appearance during the holidays, birthdays and sometimes just because nana loved her grandchildren! Whatever the occasion the little pillows of crunchy sticky marshmallow squares were gobbled up in less time than it took to melt the butter!
Recently I was planning a cocktail party and I wanted to serve my guests something from their childhood that would invoke some fun memories, as well as pair well with champagne (yes, champagne!) and could easily be enjoyed in bite-sized morsels. Since I love salted caramel I thought that would be the perfect flavor to revamp this old favorite and give it a bit of sophistication (well, as much as marshmallows and cereal can get)! I hope these Salted Caramel Krispie Squares add the perfect touch of whimsy to your next soirée!
Ingredients (makes 12 - 15 individual treats)
- Butter – 8 tablespoons, divided
- Marshmallows – 50, regular sized
- Salted Caramel – 6 tablespoons, good store-bought caramel
- Vanilla – 3 teaspoons, pure extract
- Milk Chocolate – ⅔ cup, roughly chopped
- Puffed rice cereal – 6 cups, Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® brand recommended
- Start by lining a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 7 tablespoons of butter and marshmallows over low heat. Stir constantly until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Next, add the vanilla, caramel, and cereal. Combine until the cereal is well coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture onto the parchment-lined sheet pan. Rub the remaining tablespoon of butter between your hands (cook's best tool!) and gently press the mixture until it is 1-inch thick. Set aside.
- Lastly, melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over simmering water. Once completely melted, transfer into a small pastry bag fitted with a small round tip and evenly drizzle it across the cereal mixture. Set aside to cool completely (1 to 2 hours).
- Cut into desired size and serve.
Tip: The treats will stay fresh for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.