So much of what I create in the kitchen is sparked from memories, both adult and childhood. I remember my dad (Ricky) always loved amaretto! As a child in the 80's, I remember the amaretto came in a black velvet box with a shiny lid that had a big red rose on the top. I actually still have some of those boxes that my dad gave me because I thought they were so incredibly fancy! My dad has since passed and those boxes now hold cards, letters, pictures, his cologne, and other small mementos of his life. It's a bitter-sweet feeling to look inside those velvet boxes, but when I do, the aroma of his cologne makes me feel like he is right there with me!
I share this story with you because I want you to make this cocktail often, enjoy it for celebrations, and toast with love! I also hope that this inspires you to invent your own recipe for someone special! It's never too late to commemorate a loved one, whether passed or present! Love is the best ingredient, so use it generously!
Share your story of inspiration in the comments below, I would love to learn what who has touched your life, and why. You never know when your words will inspire others!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- Amaretto - 3 cups, divided, Disaronno® recommended
- Grand Marnier® - 6 tablespoons. Divided
- Orange Zest - For garnish
- Orange Wedge - For garnish
- Fill 6 double old fashioned glasses with ice. Pour ½ cup of amaretto into each glass.
- Splash with 1 tablespoon of Grand Marnier®.
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of orange zest and garnish with a fresh orange wedge.