Yikes! There is nothing worse than arriving to a friends house for dinner and its so quiet, you can hear crickets. Wrong time? Date? Did someone's goldfish just go belly-up? When my guests arrive, I want them to instantly feel welcomed and like the party is already started. Nothing does that faster than the perfect music! I have thousands of songs pre-loaded into my home's media center, but I constantly go back to my old favorites. Here are my top tips in selecting the perfect playlist:
- Create a playlist that will be appropriate to the time of day of your party, and to the theme of your food.
- Daytime events at breakfast, brunch and lunch should be supported with cheery and happy music selections. A little French or Italian sidewalk café music can add some whimsy and frivolity while being easy on the ears.
- For dinner, I love to play Frank Sinatra and other great artists from his genre. I always try to evoke a swanky and chic atmosphere for my guests.
- Jazz it up with Horace Silver for dessert as your guests sip champagne or an after dinner aperitif, like The Ricky.
- Select music that you have pre-screened. Nobody wants an unexpected word, phrase or chorus that may make you or your guests blush!
- Play varied artists within the same music genre for a consistent theme across the board.
I'm constantly asked about the music choices I play when hosting a soiree. It truly does depend on what theme, time of day and mood I am trying to achieve. Here are just a few of my all-time favorite albums:
- Cafe De Flore: Rendez-Vous a Saint-Germain-des-Pres
- Classic Sinatra
- The Look Of Love
- The Greatest Hits Volume 1: 20 Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys
- Michael Buble
- Billie Holiday's Greatest Hits
- Horace Silver & the Jazz Messengers
- Something's Gotta Give
Its always a good sign when your guests are either singing along to the music you have selected or their feet are tap, tap, tapping away to the beat! I hope my music selection tips really "turn up the beat" at your next party! Now, let's dance!!