With Easter right around the corner, I’m sure many of you are in the midst of planning the menu! While I still prepare many of my families traditional recipes, I am always looking to reinvent a classic, like carrots. My recipe for Roasted Savory Carrots combines flavor like honey, basil, lemon and dark chocolate, what a combination! Roasting the carrots also helps bring out the natural sweetness and earthy flavor.
Not only are these perfect for Easter or when hosting company, but they are a fabulous addition to any casual weeknight meal. The steps are simple and the ingredients are found at your local grocery store, making this the perfect elevated home-cooked recipe!
Roasted Savory Carrots
Ingredients (serves 8)
- Carrots – 2 pounds, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and then in 2-inch pieces
- Butter – 3 tablespoons, unsalted, at room temperature
- Honey – 4 tablespoons
- Olive Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Sea Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon, freshly cracked
- Basil – 3/4 cup, freshly chopped, divided
- Lemon – 1 medium, zested
- Dark Chocolate - 4 tablespoons, freshly shaved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a sheet pan, toss the carrots, olive oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated.
- Place into the oven for 30 minutes, tossing once during the cooking process.
- In a large bowl combine the lemon zest, honey, butter and 1/2 cup of basil. Add the carrots and toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of basil. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
Serve warm and enjoy!