Whenever I am having guests over for drinks or dinner, I always like to start off the soiree with a canapé or hors d’oeurve that will pair perfectly with wine, champagne and mixed drinks. My recipe for Roasted Garlic and Mascarpone Spread is everyone’s “new favorite”! After the garlic has been roasted, it takes on a sweeter flavor and the mascarpone adds the perfect amount of creaminess and tang. Not only is this perfect to serve at a party, it’s also fabulous as a spread on sandwiches or as part of a picnic! Enjoy!
Roasted Garlic & Mascarpone Spread
Ingredients (serves 8)
- Garlic – 12 heads, medium size
- Olive Oil – ⅓ cup
- Mascarpone – ¾ cup, room temperature
- Sea Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon, freshly cracked
- Balsamic Vinegar – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F.
- Start by cutting ½ inch off the top of each head of garlic.
- Place each head of garlic in the well of a muffin pan. Drizzle evenly with olive oil, making sure to rub the olive oil into the tops of the garlic cloves.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar. Allow to come to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and reduce to ½ cup. About 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the garlic from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Next, in a medium bowl, combine the mascarpone, salt and pepper.
- Using your fingers, squeeze each clove of garlic out of its skin and into the mascarpone mixture.
- Gently mash the garlic with a fork and incorporate into the mascarpone mixture.
- Spread desired amount onto thin slices of baguette or crackers, drizzle with balsamic reduction and arrange on a serving platter.