Spring is here (I think)! So many wonderful fruits and vegetables are in their prime this time of year, green peas being my number 1 favorite! I love the earthy taste and “bite” they have when perfectly cooked or sautéed. My recipe for Fresh Green Pea Hummus combines simple, fresh ingredients that create a delicious dip with crackers, a topping for tartines or a healthy spread for sandwiches. The flavors are bursting at the seam (or should I say pod)!
Fresh Green Pea Hummus
Ingredients (serves 6)
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Red Onion – ½ cup, medium dice
- Garlic – 3 cloves, finely minced
- Sea Salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Black Pepper – ¾ teaspoon, freshly cracked
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1/8 teaspoon
- Peas – 2 cups, fresh, uncooked
- Lemon Zest – 2 teaspoons
- Thyme – 1½ teaspoons, fresh
- Hummus – 4 tablespoon, plain variety
- Butter – 1 teaspoon, unsalted
- Parmesan – for garnish
- In a medium sauté pan set over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the butter, peas, lemon zest and thyme. Continue cooking for another 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Transfer sautéed mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add the hummus and pulse 10 - 15 times, or until desired texture is achieved.