Transforming one dish into something totally different is exactly how my Strawberry & Goat Cheeses “Hero” came about. I was sitting at a chic little Chicago bistro waiting for the strawberry and goat cheese salad I ordered for lunch, while I simultaneously ate the ENTIRE bread basket that was filled with fresh baguette slices (and butter!).
After my salad arrived (and I ate that, too!) I thought I should take the best components of my salad and wrap them in a crusty baguette! Plain and simple, no fuss, just fresh ingredients that all compliment one another. This scrumptious “hero” will take your taste buds up, up, and away!
Watch my webisode of From My Kitchen to Yours - Summertime Picnic for a complete tutorial:
Strawberry & Goat Cheese “Hero”
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Demi Baguette
- Goat Cheese – 4 ounces, room temperature
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Sea Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Strawberries – 1/2 cup, hulled and sliced
- Balsamic Reduction – 2-3 tablespoons, store bought
- Herbed Salad Mix – large handful (arugula may be substituted)
- Basil – 1/3 cup, fresh, roughly chopped
- Lemon Zest – 2 teaspoons
- Honey- 1 tablespoon
- Start by slicing the baguette in half lengthwise.
- Next, drizzle each cut side with olive oil and honey.
- Then, spread evenly with goat cheese. Sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Add the strawberries to one side and greens to the other.
- Drizzle evenly with balsamic reduction.
- Bring halves together and slice in half.
- Serve immediately or wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.