After an in-depth experience testing recipes in the kitchen honing in on just the right flavor, I am sometimes amazed at how the simplest of things can be just as good as the complex. Take for example my Homemade Sweet Cream Butter. It is one of the simplest of recipes, and at the same time one of the most delicious. With the holidays ahead I am always looking for new ways to inject some savvy-flair when entertaining. My Homemade Sweet Cream Butter is perfect for smearing on freshly baked bread during any meal! It takes just minutes to make and adds a bit of “old-fashioned” warmth and love to any occasion.
Ingredients (makes 1 cup)
- Heavy Cream – 2 ¼ cups, very cold
- Sea Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment add the heavy cream and sea salt.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and place a clean dish towel over the bowl.
- Gradually increase the mixer speed until you reach the highest setting.
- Whisk the cream for 10-12 minutes. It will first turn into whipped cream, then start separating into solid butter and buttermilk. Once it begins to separate, reduce the mixer speed to medium. The butter is ready once it forms a ball in and around the whisk.
- Remove the solid butter from the bowl and place in into a sieve. Under running cold water gently squeeze excess buttermilk from the butter.
- Place the butter into a pastry bag fitted with a fluted tip. Pipe the butter into serving dishes and serve at room temperature. You can also store the butter in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3 weeks.