With Fall in full swing, you simply must add my Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting to the top of your scrumptious recipe list for savvy holiday baking! I created this recipe to bring out some of my favorite autumn flavors with well-rounded simplicity. The batter has a delicate pumpkin flavor with those distinctive autumnal spices like cloves, allspice, and cinnamon.
These little cakes of spiced goodness are not too overwhelming on your taste buds and balanced with the creamy luxuriousness of the cream cheese frosting. They are rich with a slight hint of vanilla—classic and sure to be a party favorite.
I decorated these cupcakes with whimsical candy corn for Halloween and store-bought marzipan leaves for a more elegant feel when I make them again in November. (Multipurpose recipes never hurt anyone!) Best of all you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry! Get bakin’ my little cupcakes!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients (makes 12)
- Flour – 1 cup, all-purpose
- Baking Soda – ½ teaspoon
- Baking Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Sea Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon
- Ginger – ½ teaspoon,
- Nutmeg – ½ teaspoon
- Allspice – ½ teaspoon
- White Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Light Brown Sugar – 1 cup, packed
- Butter – 1 stick, unsalted, melted and cooled
- Eggs – 2, extra-large, at room temperature
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla – 1 teaspoon, pure extract
- Pumpkin – 1 cup, canned puree, NOT pie filling
- Butter – 1 stick, unsalted, at room temperature
- Cream Cheese – 8 ounces, at room temperature
- Heavy Cream – 3 tablespoons
- Vanilla – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Powdered Sugar – 1 ½ cups, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and white pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment mix the cooled butter, sugar, honey, and eggs until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated.
- Then add the pumpkin puree. Mix until well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly into the well, filling each one about half way.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment set to low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.
- Frost each cupcake using a flat knife or piping bag fitted with a round tip. Garnish with candy corn, chocolate shavings, and other fall-inspired decoration.
Tip: Use a rasp to shave milk or dark chocolate directly over the cupcakes before placing them onto a serving platter!