Halloween is less than 24 hours away and I am always looking for last minutes decorating ideas. I don’t think there is anything more iconic that the Jack-O-Lantern trick or treat pale! As a little boy I would get so excited when I saw them in the grocery store or pharmacy because that always meant that Halloween was coming. Now that I’m no longer trick or treating (shocking, I know!) I really wanted to find a way to incorporate this icon into my All Hallows Eve celebration. I also wanted to make sure that all of the supplies I needed where going to be readily available at your grocery store, pharmacy, or even elements you might already own.
Using just a few key materials I was able to create this adorable illuminated Jack-O-Lantern! This lantern is such a festive addition to your dining table, kitchen counter, or even in multiples lining your walkway and driveway helping those little goblins find your front door and ultimately the candy! I hope everyone has a safe and candy-filled Halloween! Remember, brush your teeth before bedtime!
Supplies (makes 1 lantern)
- White Glue
- Small Paint Brush
- Black Glitter
- Dried Beans or Rice
- 3 Tea Light Candles and Holders
- Using a small paint brush, fill in the eye, nose, and mouth areas with white glue.
- Sprinkle the glue covered areas generously with glitter. Gently shake the excess glitter off onto a paper towel. Wipe away excess glitter from the outside of the lantern with a damp paper towel.
- Fill the bottom of the lantern with enough dried beans or rice to weight it down.
- Nestle the tea light holders in the middle of the lanterns’ base.
- Place a tea light candle in each holder and light with a long match or stick lighter.