This year Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday. Though it is a holiday in my head, it is still a regular workday for most of us. But, it also promises to be a great start to a romantic weekend. With that in mind, I want to keep the kitchen time down to a minimum on Friday so that I can kick off my “Valentine’s Weekend” doing what I love most—spending time with my Valentine.
What to do when you want to have a romantic night in sipping Champagne and gazing into your beau’s eyes, but still make a fabulously-delicious dish? Using a few classics from the traditional Valentine’s Day pantry I created my delicious Bistro Salad, and it assembles faster than Cupid’s arrow can find its mark.
My Bistro Salad combines sweet honey, tangy goat cheese, strawberries, and chocolate making it the perfect romantic (and quick!) dinner on the Day of Love. It takes just minutes to assemble and will pair perfectly with a bold Cabernet or crisp glass of bubbly. Most importantly, it will give you the latitude to enjoy a rich and decadent dessert without robbing you of your sense of romance! Whether you are spending this day with friends or your special someone, I hope the day brings love, hugs, and champagne. Eat well, laugh often, and above all share the love, for Cupid’s sake!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Greens – 5 ounces, rinsed and well-dried
- Goat Cheese – 3 ounces, crumbled
- Strawberries – 1 cup, hulled and quartered
- Sliced Almonds – ¼ c cup
- Pistachios – ¼ cup
- Honey – 3 tablespoons
- White Balsamic Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Sea Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Black Pepper – ½ teaspoon, freshly cracked
- Dark Chocolate – 3 tablespoons, 72%, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Place the greens in a serving vessel of your choice.
- Evenly distribute the strawberries, nuts, and goat cheese over the greens.
- Drizzle the honey and balsamic vinegar over top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chocolate.
- Serve immediately.