Developing new recipes allows me the opportunity to experiment with all kinds of ingredients. Whether they are from my local grocery store, a gourmet food shop, or even an ethnic market, the possibilities and combinations are endless. Sometimes navigating your way down the aisles and seeing the amount of variety there is when it comes to brands, packaging, and price (we have all had those “YIKES!” moments), can be a bit overwhelming. Usually when I am testing a recipe that has a star ingredient, like chocolate, I go straight for the best quality I can find but still in my price range. The outcome – my Triple Chocolate Cookies – so incredibly luxurious in both texture and taste that I have had to stop keeping some of the ingredients in the house because I can’t stop making (and ultimately eating!) them.
These cookies are filled with rich Pernigotti Cocoa Powder, Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips, and French Président Butter. While most of my posts and recipes encourage you to shop at your local grocery, this recipe is one I highly recommend you splurge on these few ingredients. If your local grocery doesn't have these particular brands, you can easily find them online and have them shipped directly to you, even the butter!
Triple Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients (makes 12 cookies)
- Flour – 1 cup, all-purpose
- Sea Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – ¼ teaspoon
- Cocoa Powder – ¾ cup, unsweetened, Pernigotti recommended
- Dark Brown Sugar – 1 ½ cups, lightly packed
- Eggs – 3, extra-large, at room temperature
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons, pure extract
- Butter – 1 stick, unsalted, at room temperature, Président (or another European-style) recommenced
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate – 4 ounces, finely chopped
- Milk Chocolate Chips – 11.5 ounces (1 bag), Guittard recommended
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a single baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa power. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, honey, and vanilla until there are no lumps from the brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add the butter and unsweetened chopped chocolate. Microwave on half power for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally until just melted and smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and whisk until completely combined.
- Toss the chocolate chips in the flour mixture. Fold the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Allow the dough to rest for exactly 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Using a 2 ¼-inch scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Only 6 cookies will fit per baking sheet, per baking cycle.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until just set, rotating the sheet tray once halfway through baking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling. Repeat above steps to finish baking the other 6 cookies.
Idea: These cookies can be served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce drizzled over top – a truly decedent treat!