The basil and raspberries at my local farmers market this morning looked too incredibly delicious to pass up! Knowing that I had vodka, rum, Prosecco, and sparkling water at home, the idea of making a refreshing cocktail was the first to come to mind. Typically, I only order mixed cocktails when I am out on the town—the ones I usually order are tedious with a drop of this, a splash of that, and don’t forget the twist!
At home, I try to create cocktails that I can shake-shake-shake in under two minutes, and that are not overly sweet. I especially like to use fresh ingredients whenever possible and not rely on flavorings or other artificial ingredients (just more I have to have on hand, taking up space in my cabinet for that once-a-year use).
My Raspberry Basil Cooler is a drink you can interchange with whatever you have in your cabinet; vodka OR rum, lime OR lemon, Prosecco OR sparkling water, which makes it a flexible and easy go-to cocktail to entertain with since your guests can swap out whatever they would like.
This refreshing drink is also fabulous without the use of spirits for a non-alcoholic variation. Just substitute sparkling water for the rum and Prosecco and you’ll have a delicious “mocktail”!
It’s cocktail time!
Raspberry Basil Cooler
Ingredients (makes 1 cocktail, expand as needed)
- White Rum – ¼ cup
- Lime Juice – Half of a small lime
- Extra Fine Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Basil – 5 small leaves, fresh
- Raspberries – 8 whole berries
- Prosecco – For finishing
- Place the raspberries, basil, lime juice, and sugar into a sturdy glass. Use a muddler or handle of a wooden spoon to smash the ingredients until the berries are broken up.
- Add the rum and stir for 20 seconds.
- Fill your desired serving glass with ice, pour the rum mixture over the ice, and top off the glass with Prosecco.
- Gently stir, taste, and toast!
Note: This is a rustic cocktail that derives its natural flavor from the muddled berries and basil. This includes the seeds, which remain in the glass as a pulp. This is normal, and delicious to eat!