There is nothing I find more satisfying than a big bowl of warm soup this time of year! My Carrot, Leek, & Potato Soup is filled with fresh vegetables that are cooked until just tender, then puréed into a thick and luscious soup that is perfect for a cool evening dining al fresco, a casual supper, or a weekend lunch. In fact, this soup is so hearty that all you need to serve alongside it is a basket a crusty French bread, a green salad, and a bold red wine—the ultimate in casual yet chic comfort food! Best of all, you can store containers filled with this fabulous soup in the freezer for those extra-chilly nights when only a bowl of piping hot stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup will do!
Carrot, Leek, & Potato Soup
Ingredients (makes 5 quarts)
- Yellow Onion – 1 small, ½-inch dice
- Red Onion – 1 small, ½-inch dice
- Leeks – 7 stalks, washed, ½-inch dice, both light green and white parts
- Carrots – 6 large, peeled, ½-inch dice
- Yukon Gold Potato’s – 5 large, peeled, ½-inch dice
- Red Pepper – 1 large, ½-inch dice
- Garlic – 8 cloves, rough chopped
- Butter – 12 tablespoons, unsalted
- Parsley – ½ cup, rough chopped, flat leaf, plus more for garnish
- Thyme – 2 tablespoons, rough chopped
- Black Pepper – 2½ teaspoon, freshly cracked
- Sea Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable Stock – 10 cups
- Half and Half – 1½ cups
- Parmigiano-Reggiano – freshly grated, for garnish
- In a large heavy bottomed pan or stockpot set over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once the butter is hot, add the leeks, as well as both yellow and red onions, red peppers, garlic, parsley and thyme. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, potatoes, and carrots. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Working in small batches, transfer the soup into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, and process until coarsely puréed.
- Return the puréed soup back into the pot. Whisk in the half and half and re-heat over medium heat until hot.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.