When I am hosting a party, I am always looking for impressive yet easy things to serve my guests. I love when a recipe calls for both salty and sweet ingredients, like my Dark Chocolate & Salted Caramel Tartine! The salty butter and salty caramel, bold flavor of the chocolate, and crunchy cashews are the perfect combination to satisfy even the pickiest of palates!
Serve this tartine as part of a cocktail soirée, cut in bite-sized pieces, or as a dessert. Plan for one tartine per person. Or just make one for yourself and enjoy it with a glass of red wine or champagne – c’est parfait!
A tartine is a French open-faced sandwich, like the Italian version of a bruschetta, that can be topped with anything truly fabulous and flavorful. Creating a tartine can be as easy as going through your pantry and refrigerator and choosing ingredients that will pair well and compliment one another. The most important ingredient is the bread! Try to choose a bread that is hearty, crusty, and full of flavor like a Tuscan Pane – my favorite bread for a tartine – keep the plain white bread for homemade breadcrumbs!
Dark Chocolate & Salted Caramel Tartine
Ingredients (serves 1)
- French Boule – 1 large slice, lightly toasted and fully cooled (you can also use Sourdough, Wheat, or Tuscan Pane)
- Salted Butter – 1 tablespoon, at room temperature
- Dark Chocolate – 1 tablespoon, 72% cacao, shaved
- Roasted Cashews – 1 tablespoon, unsalted, rough chopped
- Fleur de Sel Caramel – 2 teaspoons, at room temperature, favorite store-bought brand
- Spread the butter evenly onto one side of the cooled, toasted bread.
- Sprinkle the shaved chocolate and cashews evenly onto the buttered side of the bread, and then drizzle with caramel.
- Lastly, cut into desired sized pieces and serve.