A holiday dinner in my family would not be complete without jellied cranberry sauce (with the can lines!) in a little crystal dish on the table! While I still love that sentiment and tradition, I have upped the game with my Fruit Conserve. My version of “cranberry sauce” is brimming with flavorful ingredients like dried figs, golden raisins, dried cherries, and currants – just to name a few! I have even added a few tablespoons of Grand Mariner, an orange liqueur, to add a little more depth of flavor – it is the holidays after all! What I love the most about this recipe is it can be made up to three days ahead of time and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving. Leftover conserve is fabulous when warmed through and served over vanilla ice cream or even on crackers with slices of Brie. A triple-duty recipe, perfect for this time of year!
This recipe is part of “An Autumnal Feast! A Collection of Recipes from Watermarc – Art & Appetite”. Explore the other recipes in this series:
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Baguette Stuffing
- Brown Butter & Basil Mashed Potatoes
- Savory Beet & Farrow Cake
- Mulled Wine
- Pumpkin Spice Trifle
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- Fresh Cranberries – 1 bag (12 ounces)
- Sugar – 1¼ cups
- Honey Crisp Apple – 1, peeled, cored, ½-inch diced
- Bosc Pear – 1, peeled, cored, ½-inch diced
- Orange – 1, zested, seeded and ½-inch diced
- Lemon – 1, zested, juiced
- Grand Marnier – 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon – ¼ teaspoon
- Course Sea Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Golden Raisins – ½ cup
- Dried Black Mission Figs - ½ cup, rough chopped
- Zante Currants – ½ cup
- Dried Cherries – ½ cup
- Water – 1 up
- Start by placing the water, sugar, and cranberries into a medium-sized saucepan set over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cranberry skins open.
- Next, add the apple, pear, orange, zests, and lemon juice. Continue cooking for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, off the heat, add the raisins, currants, cherries, figs, cinnamon, salt, and Grand Marnier. Allow to cool and place into the refrigerator to set.
- Serve slightly chilled.