I love recipes that you can make in advance of entertaining that actually taste even better after it sits for a couple of days in the refrigerator and the flavors all blend together! My Vegetarian Chili - dubbed “I Get a Kick Out of You Chili - is from my cookbook Entertaining with Love and is a perfect example of just that. This hearty chili is packed with fresh vegetables, black beans, and meatless ground, making it as substantial as a traditional chili made with ground beef. You can either make this dish entirely on the stovetop, or partly in a slow cooker, whichever method you decide the end result is the same – fabulously delicious! Best of all, you can top this chili with sour cream, fresh parsley, tortilla chips, avocado wedges, or even charred fresh jalapeños, allowing your guests to be creative and make it their own!
Vegetarian Chili (serves 6)
- Butter – 3 tablespoons, unsalted
- Yellow Onion – 1 large, medium diced
- Red Onion – 1 large, medium diced
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes – 1 (28-ounce) can, crushed
- Tomato Paste – 3 ounces
- Garlic – 6 cloves, minced
- Black Beans – 1 (15-ounce) can
- Orange Bell Pepper – 1 large, medium diced
- Red Bell Pepper – 1 large, medium diced
- Hot Paprika – 1½ teaspoons
- Cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Crushed Red Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Chili Powder – 3 tablespoons
- Kosher Salt – 2 teaspoon, divided
- Black Pepper – 3 teaspoon, divided
- Meatless Ground Beef – 12 ounces, Quorn® Grounds recommended
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Once hot, add the diced onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Then, add the bell peppers and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef grounds and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small glass bowl combine all of the remaining spices: Chili Powder, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Hot Paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of black pepper.
- Thoroughly drain the black beans and add to the onions and peppers. Add the can of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes. Stir all together. Bring to a gentle simmer, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the combined spices and the tomato paste. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven and reduce the heat to simmer/low. At this point you can transfer the contents to a slow cooker and set to low heat. On the stove, keep covered and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. In the slow cooker set to low heat cook for 3 hours.
- Serve hot.