One of my favorite things to do at home is have a pot of tea with Ryan on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Throughout the years I have collected antique silver and porcelain teapots, sugar bowls, creamers, and other accessories to create my own special and unique tea service at home. I have also done a good job at building up my tea selection and always keep a little tin of cookies or biscuits on hand to enjoy, as the English do so well.
When I want to make something homemade for a special treat my go-to recipe is my Lavender Lemon Shortbread Cookies! They are buttery and crisp, and have such a well-rounded flavor that pairs perfectly with black tea (my favorite is Earl Grey Lavender) with honey and cream.
Whether you enjoy a cup of tea on the go (wrap a single cookie in parchment), set an elaborate table for tea time (serve these on a silver platter), or just want to eat scrumptious shortbread (these also make fabulous gifts), these are perfectly versatile and delicious. I hope you love them as much as I do. Now, if only I had a bigger tin! Hats on, pinkies up, its tea time!
Lavender Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients (makes 12 cookies)
- Butter - 1 stick, unsalted, at room temperature
- Sugar - ⅓ cup, granulated
- Vanilla - ½ teaspoon, pure extract
- Sea Salt - ⅛ teaspoon
- Honey - 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Zest - 1 ½ tablespoons
- Flour - 1 cup + 2 tablespoons, all-purpose
- Lavender - 2 tablespoons, dried, lightly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment set to medium speed, mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, sea salt, honey, and lemon zest and mix until well incorporated.
- Next, with the mixer running on low speed, add the flour and lavender. Mix until the dough comes together,
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and gently shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough and place onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and use a fluted edged cutter to cut out cookies. Gather excess dough and repeat process of rolling and cutting.
- Place cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the pan into the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator, place into the preheated oven and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn a light brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.