I think there is something so incredibly delicious about old fashioned recipes that have been re-tested with updated ingredients! Sometimes, it can be as simple as just amping up the flavor using more of the dominant ingredient in a recipe, which in this case is fresh bananas.
When I was growing up, banana bread was one of the first recipes I learned to make from start to finish from my Nan. She always kept bananas in her pantry to make her grandchildren toast with butter and sliced bananas—to this day it is still my all-time favorite breakfast concoction! Inevitably, there were always overly ripe bananas in the pantry that would always magically turn into the most delicious banana bread. I even included my version of “You’ll Go Bananas Bread” in my first cookbook Entertaining with Love.
For this new take on my old fashioned recipe, I really focused on making the banana the star (without any unnecessary extra ingredients or tricks), and created my Old Fashioned Banana Muffins! These little muffins give you wonderfully aromatic banana intensity and flavor, and the texture is deliciously gooey with huge pieces of whole banana. I think this may be the best banana muffin I have ever had! Don’t take my word for it, make these yourself. In fact, they are so delicious, I often give a big basket filled with them as a hostess gift for breakfast the next morning!
Old Fashioned Banana Muffins
Ingredients (makes 16 muffins)
- Flour – 2 cups, all-purpose
- Baking Powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Baking Soda – ¾ teaspoon
- Sugar – 1⅓ cups, granulated
- Sea Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla – 1½ teaspoons
- Milk – ½ cup, whole
- Eggs – 2, extra-large, at room temperature
- Butter – 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons, unsalted, melted and cooled
- Bananas – 4, very ripe (1 mashed and 3 diced ½-inch)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line each well of a standard muffin pan with a paper baking cup.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Turn the mixer to low speed and mix for 3 minutes until fully blended.
- Next, with the mixer still running, add the honey, vanilla, milk, eggs, cooled melted butter, and mashed banana. Mix until just combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the diced bananas.
- Using a 2¼-inch metal scoop, scoop the batter evenly into each well.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the edges are brown and the tops are golden.
- Remove from the oven, place each muffin onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Re-line the muffin pan with another 4 paper baking liners, and follow the scooping and baking instructions above for the remaining batter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.