It is easy to take a simple get-together at home and turn it into an unforgettable evening—it is all in the details! I am not talking about over-the-top details, or going to any great expense. Entertaining at home can be transformed so easily with very simple yet thoughtful attention to seemingly small things that will result in a big impact and leave your guests raving about your soireé! I have been hosting parties for friends, family, and clients for many years and here I have shared some of the most helpful (and simple!) tips and ideas that will make all the difference for your party and your guests.
10 Simple & Helpful Tips for Entertaining
- When hosting a cocktail party, buffet, or potluck choose one type of glass for all beverages, including water. I love using stemless flutes. They are elegant, add height to a table or buffet, and best of all fit into the dishwasher more easily than a traditional stemmed glass.
- Keep a collection of paper cocktail napkins with different patterns, themes, and colors on hand. Not only are they useful for cocktails and finger foods but will help further the theme or color scheme of your soirée!
- Always use glass for cocktails and wine—it both tastes and looks better.
- Have extra clean towels and a trash bin at the ready to quickly manage a spill or broken glass.If you don’t have a coat closet (or it's full!), set up a portable garment rolling rack in the foyer or bedroom for coats. Make sure to have plenty of wooden hangers at the ready.
- When a guest brings a host(ess) gift open it immediately in front of them so they can see your appreciation. Also, have a spare vase for flowers, room in the refrigerator for chilled wines and champagne, a place for red wine in your wine rack, and extra trays or serving bowls for any food offerings.
- Keep your pantry stocked with glass (not plastic!) bottles of both still and sparking waters to serve during sit down dinners and cocktail soirées.
- Edible flowers are an easy way to garnish salads, desserts, and even cocktails and on-the-rocks drinks! Make sure to only use pesticide free varieties. They can be found at many grocery stores or ordered online.
- When enjoying cocktails or dining al fresco, provide your guests with colorful blankets or pashminas to help keep them comfortable if there is a slight chill in the air. This a wonderful way to add color to your soirée and further evoke the theme of your menu, party, and occasion!
- Use deli style and Chinese take-out container's to send guests home with leftovers. I like to make small labels that say "Thank You", "Come Back Soon", "Something Yummy Awaits You", and "Bon Appétit" to stick on each container. Little details make all the difference!
Order a signed copy of my cookbook Entertaining with Love!